Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Matalascaña/Cadiz Blur


Oi, what a change in pace—I was out until 3:30 AM on Friday night, awake Saturday with 2 hours sleep and off to the beach, Matalascaña. It’s a gorgeous southern Spain beach: white sand plus beautiful seashells and minus the mob. The sea is so blue, so blue, and so warm and so wonderful. Molly, Amber, and I had a really awful time lying on the beach all day and later on eating blackberry cream cheese and sweet milk ice cream. I was wishing I was back in Berrrr-midji because I’m tired of 100 degree weather everyday...

[51 degrees in Bemidji..... Cold enuff fer ya???...... ... ... ...I know Seth, I really should stop with the lame attempts to be funny :S]

We came back from Matalascaña, slept, got up, and went to Cadiz on Sunday. I’ll emit the part where I missed both of the buses and tell you how amazing Cadiz is. It feels homier than Sevilla because it’s much smaller, yet retains the artsy style of Spain that I love—cobblestones, stone pillars, ancient churches, and random side roads.

I did not go to the McDonalds, Dustin, because that is a very you-not-me-thing to do. I did, however, go to a cute little bar for lunch. The owner was an old matador, who was more than proud of his past, displaying his bull-fighting pictures on the wall and his faded muleta (red cape). He insisted that I hold it up for him to take a picture and even 30 years later the smell of pasture and animal sweat still radiated from it. I thought of Pinewood right away; I miss that smell :(





















I ended up talking with Jose for 3 hours. You must know by now, talking with the people is the most important thing to me. I loved listening to him about his bullfighting days and arguing with him about women and God. He seemed to really like me too, telling me that I was like a daughter to him now and if I ever needed anything, ever, to call. :) He also gave me my meal free and sent me off with food...

If I were move to Spain, it’d probs be there.

4 comments:

  1. You do have school work, from time to time?
    Love, Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you and your amazing skill to meet amazing people and talk to them for 3 hours on bullfighting. <3 maddi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracious! I'm glad you're having a blast in Espana :) Your blog is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the white sands smell like dead minnows? I should send ya a couple to remind you what a real beach smells like. Prayin for ya.

    ReplyDelete