Thursday, September 16, 2010

Alone but not Lonely



I’m aware of this constant pressure telling me to “take advantage of” my time in Europe. I should visit x number of museums/churches/colosseums and x number of countries. I should indulge in this delicacy and I should go out every night...

I see the immense value in traveling and merrymaking. Yet, there is a large part of me that rejects this. Mostly, it’s because I’m tired. So while my mom expects me to say I’m going to Africa for the day (literally), I say “Nothing” or “the park”. Yet what’s wrong with that? As I said in my last blog, I’m content. I’m in Spain and that’s pretty ballin’!!

I hope that you know me enough to understand I’m not turning anti-social or less adventurous. I want to travel and in fact, I’m going to Portugual on tomorrow and Cadiz on Sunday (beach town in Southern Spain). I want to visit Aleen in Germany, eat pizza in Italy, ride camels in Morocco. I want to make the most of this trip!

But how nice is it being alone, thinking, unwinding. To me, reading the newspaper is a novelty. To finally unpack my suitcase. To play soccer with my little Spanish brother. To go to class in the morning and to the park at night. To watch little kids run around. To finally stop moving.

To be alone but not lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment